Finding Service Providers

DISCLAIMER: Any information provided below is for easing transition to emergency housing and reduction of "fire-brain" dis-ease. I do not endorse any providers, nor is any information provided complete. Business/qualification status is subject to change. Do your research on any service or person you are considering to find what works for your unique situation.

To Find RV Specific Supplies or Services, the Following May be Helpful:

Be sure to read about related topics on Temporary Dwelling Set-Up, Finding Service Providers, or RV Hosting and Living Tips.

About Hiring a Contractor…

Be advised that unlicensed individuals is common after a disaster. They pose a risk to you and your family’s financial security if a worker is injured while on your property, your property is damaged, or if the work is incomplete and/or faulty. Few, if any, unlicensed individuals have a bond or workers’ compensation insurance. The quality of their work usually doesn’t compare to that of a licensed contractor. You risk paying more in the long run.

In California, anyone who contracts to perform work on a project that is valued at $500 or more for combined labor and materials costs must hold a current, valid license from CSLB.

  • To verify a license (CLICK HERE) or call (800) 321-CSLB (2752)
  • To search for a contractor by city or zip (CLICK HERE)
  • There is help center for disaster survivors managed by the CSLB (CLICK HERE)

Information CSLB provides included contact info, when certification was issued and will expire. Contractor’s bond and workers compensation info on file. This should be re-verified upon hire.

Sole practicioners are exempt from having workers compensation insurance. They certify that they have no employees at this time, but if you have more than one person on the job ask.

What Kind of Contractor Do You Need?

CSLB licenses contractors in 44 different classifications. This ranges from general contractors to swimming pool contractors, landscapers, painters, electricians, plumbers and many more. It will be easier to decide the right type of contractor if you carefully plan your project in advance and clearly define what you want done to your property.

What is the Difference Between a General and Specialty Contractor?

General engineering and building contractors usually oversee projects and coordinate the specific licensed subcontractors for a job. Specialty or subcontractors usually are hired to perform a single job. For example, if you need only roofing or plumbing work, you may want to hire a contractor licensed in that particular specialty.

A general building contractor also may contract for specialty work, but must hold a specialty license for that work or actually have a specialty contractor do the work. The only exception is if the job requires more than two types of work on a building. Then it is appropriate for a licensed general building contractor to contract for and oversee the entire project. For example, if your kitchen remodeling will involve plumbing, electrical and carpentry work under one contract, you should hire a licensed “B” General Building contractor. Under these circumstances, a “B” contractor may perform all of the work on a building, or subcontract parts of the job to contractors with specialty licenses.

*All lists were assembled and confirmed to be operating via direct communication in January 2019. Business situations can and will change. You can contact me here regarding suggested changes.

Almost all content on this website is ORIGINAL research based on thousands of hours of work over the past 4 years post disaster… for FREE! Please credit accordingly, by referring back to this website. Tips welcome, but not required and words of kindness are ALWAYS appreciated.

~*~ Updated Feb. 2, 2019 ~*~
~ Liability Disclaimer and Community Statement ~
The links provided do not constitute an endorsement or liability for any external website or service.